struts-user mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: Question regarding use/stability of Struts 1.2 pre-release
Date Tue, 25 May 2004 17:01:16 GMT
I'm not doing the next release, but I think people still haven't
caught on to the new versioning process.  With the beginning of the
1.2.x line, Struts has adopted the release numbering scheme used by
Apache HTTPD and Tomcat.  This is elaborated at length (and with some
more formality than Struts will use) at this page:
http://httpd.apache.org/dev/release.html

In a nutshell, there is no release candidate, there is only the
release.  When the release is made, it is labeled an alpha release.
That release itself may be re-categorized to "beta" or "general
availability" later on vote by Struts committers.

Right now, by my own assessment, none of the seven outstanding bugs
in Bugzilla are "Showstoppers."  The only blocking issue is the
pending full release of Commons Validator 1.1.3, so that the Struts
release can have only dependencies on fully-released libraries.

Validator has four outstanding bugs, one classified "major".  I'm not
sure if it's blocking more on fixes for those bugs or on time for a
release manager to perform the release, but I think it's more the
latter.

So, that said, I think the most recent nightly build is the best one
you can choose.  Note that in the absence of a full release, I have
had a project in production for several months now based on a Struts
1.2 nightly build from a while back.  There have been no Struts
issues of which to speak.  (I wonder if we should start a thread of
testimonials -- who else is heavily using Struts 1.2.x?  Are there no
bugs because it's that good, or because no one is using it?)

Note that my production app doesn't use the wildcard mapping.  I have
no idea how that has been tested or whether it will meet your needs.
Since this is all volunteer, we don't have a bunch of people testing
everything like a formal commercial product.  The best thing Struts
community members can do is use the newest version they can afford
the time to use, and report bugs if they find them, and ideally,
provide patches to fix them.  This is how we move forward.

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com