struts-user mailing list archives

From Wendy Smoak <Wendy.Sm...@asu.edu>
Subject RE: Does STRUTS Support CSS Layout or Only Table Layout?
Date Thu, 20 May 2004 21:52:58 GMT
> From: Hoffman, David [mailto:David.Hoffman@ssa.gov]
> I was told that a particular project is using the STRUTS 1.1
> framework, using page layouts and tiles. Is STRUTS limited to using
HTML
> tables for
> page layout or can the layout use pure CSS formatting? If pure CSS
> formatting can be used, how would a developer use STRUTS to
> control the layout?

Struts doesn't control the layout, (or care about it,) so you can use
whatever you want.  It doesn't even have to be JSP that gets converted
to HTML, although that's the most common case.

Using Tiles doesn't preclude CSS formatting, either.  For example, I use
Struts Menu, and the tabbed menus are on a Tile that outputs a <div>
that gets formatted with CSS.  Other times, I forward straight to a
Servlet that generates a PDF.

You could also produce XML and run it through an XSL stylesheet to
produce HTML and then apply CSS.  Or any number of other things I'm not
creative enough to think up.

Hope that helps!  If not, describe in more detail what you're concerned
about.

--
Wendy Smoak
Application Systems Analyst, Sr.