struts-user mailing list archives

From "Josh Holtzman" <jholtz...@americandatacompany.com>
Subject RE: REPOST: Accessing MessageResource Objects from across Applica tion Modules.
Date Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:09:26 GMT
Thanks Hubert.

I'll give this a try.

One last question.  To follow up on Anne's comments, are you using a common
request processor across modules?

Do you aggree with Anne that having unique request processors per module,
the ResourceBundles cannot be accessed cross modules?

Josh Holtzman

American Data Company

jholtzman@americandatacompany.com

Voice: (310) 470-1257

Fax:    (310) 362-8454

Sun Microsystems iForce Partner

-----Original Message-----
From: Hubert Rabago [mailto:jakartauser@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 11:59 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: REPOST: Accessing MessageResource Objects from across Applica
tion Modules.

I use these methods and they work for me in getting either the default
resource bundle or one specified by a bundle key, from within the default
module or within a non-default module:

    /**
     * <p>Return the default message resources for the current module.</p>
     *
     * @param request The servlet request we are processing
     */
    protected MessageResources getResources(HttpServletRequest request) {

        return ((MessageResources)
                request.getAttribute(Globals.MESSAGES_KEY));

    }

    /**
     * <p>Return the specified message resources for the current module.</p>
     *
     * @param bundle The key specified in the
     *  <code>&lt;message-resources&gt;</code> element for the
     *  requested bundle
     * @param request The servlet request we are processing
     * @param servletContext the current {@link ServletContext}
     */
    protected MessageResources getResources(String bundle,
                                            HttpServletRequest request,
                                            ServletContext servletContext) {

        // Identify the current module
        ModuleConfig moduleConfig =
                RequestUtils.getModuleConfig(request, servletContext);

        // Return the requested message resources instance
        return ((MessageResources) servletContext.getAttribute
                (bundle + moduleConfig.getPrefix()));

    }

--- Josh Holtzman <jholtzman@americandatacompany.com> wrote:
> Hubert,
>
> I have not attempted to declare the same resource file in each module
> config file.  I will try and do that but I don't think it will make a
> difference.
>
> I have pages in my "/extranet" module that successfully use the Struts
> html image tag to retrieve values from my "/extranet" resource bundle.
> For example the following tag works just fine:

> bundle="<%=bundle%>"/>
>
> Where bundle="MESSAGES_EXTRANET/extranet".
>
> This leads me to believe it is not an issue in the config file, but
> I'll surely test out your suggestion.
>
> Thanks again for all the help.
>

> Josh Holtzman
>
> American Data Company
>
> jholtzman@americandatacompany.com
>
> Voice: (310) 470-1257
>
> Fax:    (310) 362-8454
>

> Sun Microsystems iForce Partner

<param-value>/WEB-INF/xml/struts-config.xml,/WEB-INF/xml/struts-config-examp
> > les.xml</param-value>
> > </init-param>
> >

> > Either case, you would access it in the request using the
> > MESSAGE_KEY/module_name.
> >
> > Hope this helps!

MessageResources are located.