struts-user mailing list archives

From "Tambascio, Larry" <Larry.Tambas...@imrm.com>
Subject Migrating from Struts to Portlets
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2004 18:35:43 GMT

Hi,

There's a rumbling in the not too distant future of my application, and it
involves a portal implementation.  This rumbling is approaching more quickly
than I fear Struts 2.0 (which I'm very excited about) is.  I am wondering if
anyone else has already dealt with this issue.

I'd like to be able to re-use my existing forms, actions, and JSP pages to
render the portlets as much as possible.  It seems like there should be a
fairly thin layer on top of struts that adapts the portlet environment to
struts (or vice-versa).  At kind of a low level, it seems that having a
portlet's processAction method delegate to a specific struts action should
be easy to do.  Capturing the actionForward from it in the request scope so
that the portlet's render method could simply include that page (forwards
apparently "non-deterministic" according to the spec) also seems relatively
trivial.  There would have to be an obvious refactoring of the JSP pages to
use the portlet tag's "actionURL" to generate action URLs for forms.

So, who has converted a Struts based app to a portlet presentation method??
What were you able to reuse?  What worked and what didn't??  What would you
do differently if you had to do it over again?  Obviously, I'd like to
minimize refactoring (perhaps building adapters) and maximize reuse.  :-)
And when Struts 2.0 DOES come out, hopefully I've done nothing to preclude
myself from returning to the fold, but that's kind of a low priority.  Could
a custom RequestProcessor that also implemented the Portlet interface do the
job??  I just honestly don't know, and am hoping to leverage some communal
experience.

Thanks,
-Larry

This email and its attachments are confidential under applicable law are
intended for use of the senders addressee only, unless the sender expressly
agrees otherwise, or unless a separate written agreement exists between
Iron Mountain and a recipient company governing communications between the
parties and any data that may be so transmitted. Transmission of email over
the Internet is not a secure communications medium. If you are requesting or
have requested the transmittal of personal data, as defined in applicable
privacy laws, by means of email or in an attachment to email, you may wish
to select a more secure alternate means of transmittal that better supports
your obligations to protect such personal data. If the recipient of this
message is not the recipient named above, and/or you have received this email
in error, you must take no action based on the information in this email.
You are hereby notified that any dissemination, misuse or copying or
disclosure of this communication by a recipient who has received this message
in error is strictly prohibited. If this message is received in error please
return this email to the sender and immediately highlight any error in
transmittal.
Thank You