struts-user mailing list archives

From "Gogineni, Pratima" <pgogin...@selectica.com>
Subject Design Question - Struts for Generic Applications
Date Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:05:44 GMT
I am designing an interface to interact with our proprietary servers. For a
clean application you would typically make calls to this interface through
struts actions that you would write that are specific to your application &
have form beans that are specific to your view.

Now we also have some customers that might for the purposes of quick
development not want to write any struts-actions. Since  our servers can be
used in many domains & applications we cannot create form beans that
correspond to the view. What we decided was to design the input/output
objects from our interfaces as "java beans" and allow the use of these beans
directly in the view layer & submit to our interface through a
single-generic action.

This allows the quick (& definitely dirty) development that some customers
require. We also plan to have custom tags that help in the creation of our
propietary inputbeans and submission to our server so as to parallel our old
non-jsp-proprietary tag library that our customers are used to. In someways
I guess we are building a framework for our applications on top of struts?

Unfortunately this adds a lot of complexity in the view - because the form
bean  is not specific to the View and could be bulky. Which is why in need
bean population tags etc to make life easier.

I am curious if anyone else has tried to do something similar &/ anyone has
any views/inputs for this kind of development.

Pratima