struts-user mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <ahardy.str...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject Re: [slightly OT] defensive strategy
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:35:07 GMT
On 04/13/2004 12:39 PM McCormack, Chris wrote:
> Interesting problem. You could implement image tickets, ie for every
>  user that wants to submit a form you generate a random sequence of
> characters as an obscured image.

That's not in the spec, thankfully! I'm only trying to put off the
semi-determined attacks and any security should be transparent.

On 04/13/2004 12:38 PM Daniel Perry wrote:
> There are lots of ways to counter this. The simplest is a combination
>  of session + cookie. Most people wont know how to / have any desire
>  to delete the cookie.

Problem with scripted attacks is that they drop the cookies and session
ids.

> IPs are useful, but be careful: - Some of the big ISPs (eg freeserve
>  in the uk) have 'hidden' proxy servers, so if popular you may get
> more than one vote per hour from the same ip legitimately. - NAT -
> more that one person on a private NATed network may vote in close
> proximity!

Rats! I knew there would be some problem with it. I don't want to block
any legitimate voters.

Actually I think I may have a solution now, to exclude scripted votes -
I shall just put a flag in the session to show that the user has
actually called up the HTML to see the vote.

That way, any script which fires a submit at the voting system will be
rejected since it didn't first instantiate a session.

Thanks for the ideas. Certainly helped my thinking.

Regards
Adam