struts-user mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <ahardy.str...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject Re: Frequently Performed Action Tasks
Date Sun, 04 Apr 2004 10:12:11 GMT
Hey Joe,
why don't you put the whole user bean in the session? I do. It's not so
big that it causes problems under heavy load.

You could then have a simple checkUser() in your base class that checks
if the session bean is there before calling getUser().

I actually have my checkUser() in a filter. Several of my universal
methods (like this) are in filters, and several are in the base class.

Adam

On 04/04/2004 11:06 AM Joe Hertz wrote:
> I'm considering doing something, and I'm trying to decide if it's safe to do.
> I'm sure this particular battle has been fought before. I'm curious what the
> results are from those who have waged it.
>
> A typical case: At the beginning of your action, you want to get the current
> user's record from the database. Say the user id itself is stored in the
> httpSession.
>
> In fact, so typical is this case, it would make sense to have this always
> happen at the beginning of the Action.
>
> My first instinct was to declare an execute() method in my base Action class,
> get the current user's User object based upon the user id, and then do a
> super.execute().
>
> Problem is, there's no way to pass in the user object I got got into
> super.execute.
>
> So my options appear to be either 1) Call getUser() at the beginning of every
> Action method, or 2) In the base class' execute() method, call getUser() and
> store the User object in a static ThreadLocal like one of the example
> Hibernate plugins does with the Hibernate Session object.
>
> Is there any good reason not to do the latter (like, fer instance, "Um, it
> won't work, Joe")???
>
> Anyway, it just seems like the base class' execute() method would be a good
> place to call pre-"guts" and post-"guts" Action code. Is this the way to go
> about it, or is there a better one?
>
> TIA,
>
> -Joe

struts 1.2 + tomcat 5.0.19 + java 1.4.2