struts-user mailing list archives

From Joe Hertz <jhe...@patriot.net>
Subject Unhandled Exception in the Validator?
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2004 12:31:46 GMT
I'm using a recently 1.2 nightly build, but I suspect this isn't a 1.2 issue
necessarily. I think I'm pushing the infrastructure though.

Here's how:

I have a DynaValidatorActionForm which contains a List.

The List elements, in this case, happen to be instances of another DynaBean,
which inside of the "populating" Action, I instantiate, populate, and add to
the List.

So the page displays fine. And on it, say I enter "eweew" in a text box entry
corresponding to a form property that I have told the validator is
depends=date (datePatternStrict MM/dd/yyyy).

The validator works (I get my message generated by the backend [no popup], as
the docs say it would be handled because I am using a IndexedListProperty to
get into the individual items.

BUT the following exception occurs from inside of the validator and I didn't
see anything in bugzilla.

07:17:19,252  WARN GenericTypeValidator:222 - eweew

java.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: "eweew"

	at java.text.DateFormat.parse(DateFormat.java:334)
	at org.apache.commons.validator.GenericTypeValidator.formatDate
(GenericTypeValidator.java:213)
	at org.apache.struts.validator.FieldChecks.validateDate
(FieldChecks.java:519)
	at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor47.invoke(Unknown Source)
(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
	at
org.apache.commons.validator.ValidatorAction.executeValidationMethod
(ValidatorAction.java:570)
	at org.apache.commons.validator.Field.validateForRule(Field.java:808)
	at org.apache.commons.validator.Field.validate(Field.java:887)
	at org.apache.commons.validator.Form.validate(Form.java:171)
	at org.apache.commons.validator.Validator.validate(Validator.java:367)
	at org.apache.struts.validator.DynaValidatorActionForm.validate
(DynaValidatorActionForm.java:77)
	at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processValidate
(RequestProcessor.java:921)
	at org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process
(RequestProcessor.java:206)
	at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process
(ActionServlet.java:1146)
	at org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doPost
(ActionServlet.java:410)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter
(ApplicationFilterChain.java:247)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter
(ApplicationFilterChain.java:193)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke
(StandardWrapperValve.java:260)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeN
ext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke
(StandardPipeline.java:480)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke
(ContainerBase.java:995)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke
(StandardContextValve.java:191)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeN
ext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke
(StandardPipeline.java:480)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke
(ContainerBase.java:995)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.invoke
(StandardContext.java:2396)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke
(StandardHostValve.java:180)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeN
ext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
	at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorDispatcherValve.invoke
(ErrorDispatcherValve.java:170)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeN
ext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
	at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke
(ErrorReportValve.java:172)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeN
ext(StandardPipeline.java:641)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke
(StandardPipeline.java:480)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke
(ContainerBase.java:995)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke
(StandardEngineValve.java:174)
	at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.invokeN
ext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke
(StandardPipeline.java:480)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke
(ContainerBase.java:995)
	at org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteAdapter.service
(CoyoteAdapter.java:223)
	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process
(Http11Processor.java:405)
	at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnect
ion(Http11Protocol.java:380)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt
(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:508)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run
(ThreadPool.java:533)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:536)