struts-user mailing list archives

From "Chappell, Simon P" <Simon.Chapp...@landsend.com>
Subject Life, the Universe and Everything (was: RE: [OT] RE: Memory usage)
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2004 22:27:50 GMT
While the original flame war was less helpful, the question that has emerged from it's ashes
is a good one. I don't claim to have all the answers, but I can offer some personal observations.
Feel free to disagree.

1. You can do nothing about those who choose not to learn. I've tried changing them and it
doesn't work. I consider this a basic fact.

2. You have a great deal of control over your ability to learn. If you aren't big time into
learning, then I recommend catching some enthusiasm for it.

3. There will be always be good and bad tech leads. I am a tech lead; I try to be a good one.
I can put a String to standard out or standard error! ;-)

4. I had the same frustrations that you have. I made the decision that the best way to restore
the balance of good in the universe, was to try to become the kind of tech lead that I would
have wanted when I was a newbie/humble grunt. I teach a class on learning Java one lunchtime
a week and try to bestow a little wisdom and encouragement whenever I can. I am a Java mentor
here and I lead a study group of us that are seeking our Java Certification.

5. No one reads documentation. This is a fact. Learn what is "drop dead fired and escorted
from the building" important and then try to auto-generate it. :-)

6. Leadership is a rare commodity. There's a lot of management out there, but precious little
leadership. Again, deal with it. Become a leader and just do what needs to be done. This is
what I have tended to do. The ol' saying about "it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission"
is very true (except I sometimes forget to ask for forgiveness! :-)

7. Black team? How 90's, Our team wears Hawaiian shirts! (Honest. :-)

Simon