struts-user mailing list archives

From "Andreas Solarik" <a.sola...@gesig.at>
Subject AW: SV: Form Validation
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:13:49 GMT

your logs occasionally, right?

Andreas

-----Ursprungliche Nachricht-----
Von: Christoph Kutzinski [mailto:kutzi@gmx.de]
Gesendet: Montag, 15. Marz 2004 14:48
An: Struts Users Mailing List
Betreff: Re: SV: Form Validation

Max Cooper wrote:

> If the hacker thinks that 7 character passwords may be allowed, they might
> waste a considerable amount of time trying all 1-to-7 character
> combinations. If you tell them the minimum is 8 chars, they can save a lot
> of time by not trying those shorter passwords.

I still can't see that the point here.
If we have say only 26 characters and a minimum password length of 4
characters:

You have 26^4 variations for 4-char passwords = 456976
The cracker would just save
26 + 26^2 + 26^3 = 18278 variations if he knows that the min length is
4. That is nothing in comparison to the variations for 4 character alone.

If we have more characters, the differences are even bigger.

> Also, if the minimum length is really long (>8 chars), the hacker might
> guess that most people will use a password of that minimum length, and
might
> start trying words that are that length since people would be likely to
> choose something like that to meet the length requirement while still
being
> memorable.
>
> However, if your app allows people to register online, the hacker can
> probably find out the minimum password length anyway, so validating for
min
> password length on the login page for that kind of app would have little
> (i.e. hacker is not smart enough to try to register first to find out the
> minimum password length from the registration form) to no security
> consequences.

Agreed.

Christoph