struts-user mailing list archives

From ZCur...@tsys.com
Subject Tiles & Dynamic Menu: Design Question
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2004 16:52:08 GMT
Struts v1.1

We are currently using Struts and Tiles and have a dynamic navigation menu
with 2-3 nested levels for each top-level menu item (over 100 total menu
items). Currently, we are generating links with the action mapping and
then appending parameters to determine what level in the menu hierarchy
the user is requesting. The parameters are passed in the URL which are
then read in scriptlet code in the navigation menu tile to display the
appropriate menu item. Action mappings are pointed to Tiles definitions.

The problems with this approach inlcude:
1) All URLs are defined in the ApplicationResources.properties file (e.g.,
menu.itemA=mapping.do?top=topMenuItem&sub1=subMenu1&sub2=subMenu2).
2) 3-4 parameters passed in the URL for every request to determine
navigational level.
3) A great deal of scriptlet code in the navigation menu tile.

I have searched the archive list, Google, and looked at Struts Menu at
sf.net and nothing seems to jump out at me. This is my first J2EE project
and first Struts/Tiles project, so I may have missed (not comprehended)
some things when searching.

In my relative inexperience, it would seem that the menu items would be
better defined in XML (instead of ApplicationResources), although the link
label would need to still be in ApplicationResources, perhaps just a
single key could be passed in the URL, and replace scriptlet code with a
tag (custom?). Can any one offer me some insights or point me to some
resources that help me?

Thanks much!

Zach Curtis
TSYS Technology Center
ZCurtis@tsys.com
208-424-2145

The information contained in this communication (including any attachments hereto) is confidential
and is intended solely for the personal and confidential use of the individual or entity to
whom it is addressed.  The information may also constitute a legally privileged confidential
communication.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible
for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received
this communication in error and that any review, dissemination, copying, or unauthorized use
of this information, or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information
is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us
immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.  Thank you