struts-user mailing list archives

From Paul Barry <paul.ba...@nyu.edu>
Subject Re: Re-populating form after validate fails
Date Wed, 04 Feb 2004 14:55:02 GMT
If validate fails, your action won't even be processed.  You can't use any of the forwards
that you may set up for your
action, because your action never executes, you can't do a mapping.findForward("failure").
 Once validate fails, it
forwards to the input.  The struts example has validate=false (it uses the default) for the
LogonAction.  It uses the
validator to validate the form, so that is a different example.

I found the answer to my extra credit question, you can use input="forwardName" in your action
if you have inputForward
set to true in your controller config.  I have this set up, but it doesn't change any thing.
 Here is the log of what
happens when I fill in a username and no password:

Processing a 'POST' for path '/myaccount/loginAction'
Storing ActionForm bean instance in scope 'request' under attribute key 'LoginForm'
Populating bean properties from this request
Validating input form properties
Validation failed, returning to 'myaccount/login'
processForwardConfig(ForwardConfig[name=myaccount/login,path=/myaccount/login.do,redirect=false,contextRelative=false])
Processing a 'POST' for path '/myaccount/login'
Storing ActionForm bean instance in scope 'request' under attribute key 'LoginForm'
Populating bean properties from this request
Looking for Action instance for class myapp.struts.actions.ForwardAction
Returning existing Action instance
 From toString in my ForwardAction -> Path=[/WEB-INF/jsp/myaccount/login.jsp],Form=[Username=sdfdsf,Password=]
processForwardConfig(ForwardConfig[name=null,path=/WEB-INF/jsp/myaccount/login.jsp,redirect=false,contextRelative=true])

I have removed all the info from these messages to make it easier to read.  All of these messages
are DEBUG messages
that come from the RequestProcessor, except the toString that I am printing out near the end.
 This all looks like
exactly what I would want to happen.  The original POST goes to loginAction, the validate
method is called and fails, so
it forwards to myaccount/login.  The form is stored in the request scope.  When I call the
toString method after the
form has been populated, you can see the username property is populated.  This makes sense.
 The request was forwarded
from the original action to this action.  The request parameters are still the same as the
original request, so when the
form is populated, the username field is populated.

What doesn't make sense to me is that when I look at my form on the HTML page (which is /WEB-INF/jsp/myaccount/login.jsp

in this case), the username property is not populated.  This doesn't make sense to me.  The
html:form tag should see
that the form property for username is populated, so therefore the 'html:test property="username"'
field should be
populated with that value.  What am I missing here?