struts-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew Hill" <andrew.david.h...@gridnode.com>
Subject RE: server hangs after finite number of requests
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2004 03:36:19 GMT
Ive found that limiting your connection pool to a single connection during
development can help pick such bugs up a lot quicker.

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony Martin [mailto:s0p1a0m4@martin-studio.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 7 January 2004 06:11
To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: server hangs after finite number of requests

I've had something like that happen when I call
getDataSource(request).getConnection() and forget to close them.  After a
finite number of requests, the server appears to hang.  Actually, depending
on the settings, it will timeout.  But how you handle the exception could
prevent it from being properly reported.

On 1/6/04 11:38 AM, in article
Pine.HPP.3.95.1040106202636.8248L-100000@aragorn.imf.au.dk, "Heather Marie
Buch" <hbuch@imf.au.dk> wrote:

> Manfred Wolff wrote:
>
>> Heather.
>>
>> Have you studied the tomcat logs?
>
> Yes, I have. This is the only thing that is remotely interesting.
> In localhost_log.2004-01-06.txt I get this:
>
> 2004-01-06 03:38:41 action: null
> 2004-01-06 03:40:08 action: null
> 2004-01-06 03:40:12 action: null
> 2004-01-06 03:40:14 action: null
> 2004-01-06 03:40:16 action: null
> 2004-01-06 03:40:18 action: null
> 2004-01-06 03:40:21 action: null
> 2004-01-06 03:40:23 action: null
>
> (corresponding to the 8 times I try to log in). I don't really know where
it
> is
> coming from. I would like to know what is generating the above, so I could
> in and modify the logging
> statements to produce a bit more detail!
>
> I also have log4j statements in my own code and have been testing this.
But I
> can't generate any error or anything beyond the normal output, 8 times.
>
> What is interesting is that it always fails on the 9th try. I don't think
it
> is
> a matter of seconds either. I have tested over a longer period (10
minutes),
> but
> it still gives me 8 requests before it hangs.
>
> And Geeta Ramani - thanks. I will take another look at the jdbc stuff!
>
> Best,
>
> Heather Buch
>

>> Manfred Wolff
>>
>> Heather Marie Buch wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> If I submit the same page more than 8 times, my server dies and I have
>>> restart. For example, the first 8 times I enter the wrong password,
struts
>>> will simply return me to my original form with an error message.
However,