struts-user mailing list archives

From Brice Ruth <br...@fiskars.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Eclipse/Tomcat WebappLoader
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2004 14:57:43 GMT
I'm not sure you'll ever entirely get away from Tomcat generating an
"OutOfMemory" exception ... I have a very similar development
environment and I use the catalina-ant tasks for removing my context
from Tomcat and re-installing my context to Tomcat and I've found that
after I do that a few times, I need to restart Tomcat to reclaim memory
... my .WAR is about 92MB, so that might be why it doesn't take too long.

Raphaël di Cicco wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I know this is a little off topic but this has to do with J2EE deployment so it might
be useful for some people.
>In my environment, I use Eclipse with Struts 1.1, Tomcat 4.1 and Sun JDK 1.4. Eclipse
makes it possible to recompile and redeploy my classes every time I change them. This is very
convenient.
>I understand that the WebAppLoader reloads the whole application if there is a change
in one of the files.

>However, I have a static class that loads an enormous amount of data into memory. Therefore
after 2 or 3 changes in my code I run into a OutOfMemory exception that is very annoying (the
exception usually occurs somewhere in Win32FileSystem.class).

>I would like to prevent the webappLoader from reloading this particular class, and I know
that it is is possible to prevent a jar file from beeing reloaded, but I don't know about
a class.

--
Brice D. Ruth
Sr. IT Analyst