struts-user mailing list archives

From "sanjeev_dutt" <sanjeev_d...@infosys.com>
Subject RE: Iplanet Struts Compatibility
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:00:40 GMT
Hi,

I am trying to install struts on Iplanet 6.1 sp 4 and getting following error in the log:

for host 172.25.201.26 trying to GET /strutsexample/index.jsp, deny-existence reports: denying
existence of /citione/citigmic/iplanet/bin/https/webapps/user-app/WEB-INF/index.jsp

Any idea what could be the reason.
Thanks
Sanjeev

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Germuska [mailto:Joe@Germuska.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 8:02 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Iplanet Struts Compatibility

At 7:41 PM +0530 1/20/04, sanjeev_dutt wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We have a web based application which is in perl-cgi.
>We are planning to move it migrate it to JSP and struts MVC-II is
>the proposed model.
>I wish to understand few things about this:
>
>1.Is struts compatible with Iplanet? Or should we use weblogic?

Struts requires Servlet 2.2; iPlanet 4.x predates that, but if you
are using a newer iPlanet, you'll probably be fine.

>2.The web application does not have many forms. It basically has
>most of links clicking on which the reports appear.
>In this scenerio is it advisable to go for struts ?

Struts can be useful even if you aren't processing a lot of forms.  I
guess it depends on what your alternatives are, but I wouldn't treat
"not many forms" as a reason not to use Struts.

>3.Any links where I could read more about perl-cgi to JSP migrations
>and proposed design patterns so that I could leverage more on that.

It can be a challenge to change your mindset; I was a Perl/CGI
programmer before I got into using Servlets.  Of course, I think if
Struts had been around, I would have come over to Servlets more
easily, because of the number of things which it manages for you.
(I was also dealing with iPlanet 4.x and the bad old days before web
application deployment was standardized, which didn't help...)

It also depends on how object-oriented your Perl was and how you were
managing the HTML generation piece and the like.  I don't know of any
reading specifically focused on the transition.

You may want to dig up a good introductory book on OO design; I
remember really liking Peter Coad's "Java Design", although now it
seems kind of obvious -- but that's the nature of paradigm shifts; it
can be hard to remember how it was before.  And, of course, there are
lots of Struts books!

Joe

--
Joe Germuska