struts-user mailing list archives

From "EXCELSIS - Sepand Oboudiyat" <sepand.oboudi...@excelsisnet.com>
Subject Question regarding ActionForms.
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2003 15:42:20 GMT
Hi,

I am currently using Struts 1.0.2 and have notice something with regard to
handling of ActionForms.

Why is it, that in the "perform()" method of my Action I am able to modify
the passed-in ActionForm and all modifications that I make to the
ActionForm in my Action have effect on the ActionForm in the session,
without the need to reset the modified form in the session. e.g.

public ActionForward peform(ActionMapping mapping,
                            ActionForm form,
                            HttpServletRequest request,
                            HttpServletResponse response,
                            )throws IOException, ServletException

{
      MyForm myForm = (MyForm)form;

      form.setMemberA("valA");
      form.setMemberB("valB");

      // why dont I have to do the following: session.setAttribute
("myFormName", myForm);

      return "success";

}

I thought that since Java passes method arguments by value and not by
reference, then I would have to reset my modifed copy back into the session
for changes on the form to be visible in the form in the session ?

Any insights on how this mechanism works would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sepand