struts-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew Hill" <andrew.david.h...@gridnode.com>
Subject RE: [OT] Sysdeo Eclipse plugin for tomcat - working directory
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2003 03:38:54 GMT
Classes.

Ive no problem running the debugger.

The problem is that when running TomCat from Eclipse some of the classes I
am using (which I didnt write myself) encounter errors as the working
directory is different to what it would be if I had started the tomcat by
running the batch file from the bin directory.

These classes are there to perform file handling (reading/writing/moving)
and open/create the files by using a File object and creating a stream based
on it  - problem is they use a relative path to the file, and that path is
wrong when the current directory is c:\eclipse

Ill have a try following Yansheng's advise by setting my catalina_home env
variable. (Its not set as I have severalmany tomcats I need to switch
between for different projects)

-----Original Message-----
From: David Friedman [mailto:humble@ix.netcom.com]
Sent: Thursday, 6 November 2003 01:11
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: [OT] Sysdeo Eclipse plugin for tomcat - working directory

When you say working directory, do you mean JSP's or classes?  With Eclipse
v2.1, Struts v1.1, taglibs 1 (beta), and Sysdeo 2.1.0, I can debug both.

Debugging my java classes is as easy as pie - add a breakpoint, reload your
page in the browser, and step through it in Ecilpse's debug window while it
shows you the corresponding java lines it stops on.

Debugging JSP's (I just tried it for the first time, involves right mouse
clicking on the project and choosing 'Tomcat Project' -> 'Create JSP work
directory'.  At that point it listed the JSP pages like compiled java
classes.  Unforunately, when I added a breakpoint to the class, it allowed
me to step through it without showing the source file properly linked into
it so I had trouble following the printouts.  However, the variables were
visible and it did step through it, even if I didn't have the nice, normal,
java file to step through and see where I was.  Since the debug  window
showed the line number, I could click back and forth.  But, since it was my
first try debugging a JSP that way, I normally figure it out mentally, not
debug-wise for my JSPs, I think that was a good result on JSP debugging.

Regards,
David