struts-user mailing list archives

From Adam Hardy <ahardy.str...@cyberspaceroad.com>
Subject Re: Lazy questions on this list & [FRIDAY!]
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:16:09 GMT
I think that the balancing act between catering for the newbies and
testing the patience of the grizzled struts listers is always a
difficult one.

Some lists that I have been which keep off-topic or lazy questions to a
minimum do it in several ways.

The css-discuss list has a list policy much like the
'how-to-ask-intelligent-questions' - fyi it's at

http://www.css-discuss.org/policies.html

All the css-discuss listers stick to it and police themselves pretty
well. I posted what turned out to be off-topic questions a couple of
times and got politely told so off-list just by other listers.

Another list is just as busy as struts-user  (visbas-l) when I used it,
and in their case, listers publicly informed newbies immediately for any
transgressions.

I think the key thing for success on both those lists is that all
listers did the policing and obviously stuck to the rules themselves.
There were also lots more apologies for taking threads off-topic or
whatever.

Now for some [FRIDAY] input: we could of course use this:

       STANDARDIZED BONEHEAD REPLY FORM
            (c) copyright 1999 by
                 someone else.

(check all boxes that apply)

Dear:

[ ] Clueless Newbie   [ ] Lamer         [ ] Flamer
[ ] Loser             [ ] Spammer       [ ] Troller
[ ] "Me too" er       [ ] Pervert       [ ] Geek
[ ] Freak             [ ] Nerd          [ ] Elvis
[ ] Racist            [ ] Fed           [ ] Freak
[ ] Fundamentalist    [ ] Satanist      [ ] Homeopath
[ ] Unbearably self-righteous person

I Took Exception to Your Recent:

[ ] Email   [ ] Post to struts-user

It was (check all that apply):

[ ] Lame           [x] Stupid         [ ] Abusive
[ ] Clueless       [x] Idiotic        [ ] Brain-damaged
[ ] Imbecilic      [ ] Arrogant       [ ] Malevolent
[ ] Contemptible   [ ] Libelous       [x] Ignorant
[x] Clueless       [x] Stupid         [ ] Fundamentalist
[ ] Boring         [x] Dim            [ ] Cowardly
[ ] Deceitful      [x] Demented       [ ] Self-righteous
[ ] Crazy          [ ] Weird          [ ] Hypocritical
[ ] Loathsome      [ ] Satanic        [ ] Despicable
[ ] Belligerent    [ ] Mind-numbing   [ ] Maladroit
[x] Much longer than any worthwhile thought of which you may be capable.

Your Attention is Drawn to the Fact That:

[ ] You posted what should have been emailed
[ ] You obviously don't know how to read your newsgroups line
[ ] You are trying to make money on a non-commercial newsgroup
[ ] You self-righteously impose your religious beliefs on others
[ ] You self-righteously impose your racial beliefs on others
[ ] You posted a binary in a non-binaries group
[ ] You don't know which group to post in
[x] You posted something totally uninteresting
[ ] You crossposted to *way* too many newsgroups
[ ] I don't like your tone of voice
[x] What you posted has been done before.
[x] Not only that, it was also done better the last time.
[ ] You quoted an *entire* post in your reply
[ ] You started a long, stupid thread
[x] You continued spreading a long stupid thread
[ ] Your post is absurdly off topic for where you posted it
[ ] You posted a followup to crossposted robot-generated spam
[ ] You posted a "test" in a discussion group rather than in alt.test
[ ] You posted a "YOU ALL SUCK" message
[x] You posted low-IQ flamebait
[x] You posted a blatantly obvious troll
[ ] You followed up to a blatantly obvious troll
[ ] You said "me too" to something
[ ] You make no sense
[x] Your sig/alias is dreadful
[ ] You must have spent your life in a skinner box to be this clueless.
[ ] You posted a phone-sex ad
[ ] You posted a stupid pyramid money making scheme
[ ] You claimed a pyramid-scheme/chain letter for money was legal
[ ] Your margin settings (or lack of) make your post unreadable.  Each
     line just goes on and on, not stopping at 75 characters, making it hard
     to read.
[ ] You posted in ELitE CaPitALs to look k0OwL
[ ] You posted a message in ALL CAPS, and you don't even own a TRS-80
[ ] You have greatly misunderstood the purpose of this newsgroup.
[ ] You have greatly misunderstood the purpose of the Internet.
[ ] You are a loser.
[ ] This has been pointed out to you before.
[ ] You pretended to be female to try to attract more replies.
[ ] You didn't do anything specific, but appear to be so generally
      worthless that you are being flamed on general principles.

It is Recommended That You:

[ ] Get a clue
[ ] Get a life
[ ] Go away
[ ] Grow up
[ ] Never post again
[ ] Read every newsgroup you posted to for a week
[ ] stop reading Usenet news and get a life
[ ] stop sending Email and get a life
[ ] Bust up your modem with a hammer and eat it
[ ] Have your medication adjusted
[ ] Jump into a bathtub while holding your monitor
[ ] find a volcano and throw yourself in
[ ] get a gun and shoot yourself
[ ] Actually post something relevant
[ ] Read the FAQ
[ ] Search the friggin' archives
[ ] stick to FidoNet and come back when you've grown up
[ ] Apologize to everybody in this newsgroup
[ ] consume excrement
[ ] consume excrement and thus expire
[ ] Post your tests to alt.test/misc.test
[ ] Put your home phone number in your ads from now on
[ ] Refrain from posting until you have a vague idea what you're doing

In Closing, I'd Like to Say:

[ ] You need to seek psychiatric help
[ ] Take your gibberish somewhere else
[ ] *plonk*
[ ] Learn how to post or get off the usenet
[ ] Most of the above
[ ] All of the above
[ ] Some of the above, not including All of the above
[ ] You are so clueless that I didn't even bother filling in this form.