struts-user mailing list archives

From James Mitchell <jmitch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: URGENT :: Disable enter key in HTML:FORM by using onKeyPress func tion
Date Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:30:29 GMT
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Chawla, Yogesh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In normal forms, we can disable enter key by calling onKeyPress() function
> in the form tag.
> However, this is not supported in the <html:form> definition for Struts.
>
> Can anybody give a solution to this ...

Your best bet for stopping the user from submitting a form with JavaScript
is to handle it in the form tags onsubmit attribute.

Here's an example from a recent app I'm working on:

I needed a way to make sure that users entered a minimum of 3 (or some
configurable value) characters when performing a search.  The problem is
that it can be 3 characters from any combination of 3 fields.

  onsubmit="return doMyValidation(this)"
focus="view.registration.security.userName">

...and at the bottom of the page I do this...

<script language="JavaScript"/>
function doMyValidation(form){
	u =
form.elements['view.registration.security.userName'].value.length;
	f =
form.elements['view.registration.personal.firstName'].value.length;
	l =
form.elements['view.registration.personal.lastName'].value.length;

	if (u + f + l < <bean:message
key="validation.min.search.chars"/>){
		alert('<c:out value="${msg}"/>');
		return false;
	}
	return validateSearchForm(form);

}
</script>

		dynamicJavascript="true"
		 staticJavascript="true"/>

...what that does is allow me to insert my own custom validation and, if
that passes, then the validator-generated one is run.

> Thanks,
>
> Yogesh Chawla
> DISCLAIMER: The information in this message is confidential and may be
> legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to this
> message by anyone else is unauthorised.  If you are not the intended
> recipient, any disclosure, copying, or distribution of the message, or any
> action or omission taken by you in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be
> unlawful.  Please immediately contact the sender if you have received this
> message in error. Thank you.

James Mitchell
Software Developer / Struts Evangelist
http://www.struts-atlanta.org