struts-user mailing list archives

From "Ray Madigan" <...@madigans.org>
Subject RE: Map Backed Form/Tiles
Date Sat, 20 Sep 2003 01:56:28 GMT
Nope!  Im sorry to say.  I only wish it were so.

The page comes up and initializes correctly with the value
that ${element.value} evaluates to.

So _ I think it might be in some way environmental, so I will
double and triple check the common-* jars for size and dates.

Thanks for all of your help!

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Lea [mailto:jason@kumachan.net.nz]
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2003 4:20 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Map Backed Form/Tiles

Ray Madigan wrote:

> I have narrowed the problem down to:

>               value='${element.value}'/>
>
> being in a tile.  If the tag is in the main body of the JSP
> everything works as it should.
>
> ???? - Guess I better look harder at the tiles I use.
>
> Thanks

Looking at this I haven't used the value='' attribute before.  The
Struts taglib API says

' Value to which this field should be initialized. [Use the
corresponding bean property value] [RT Expr]'

This sounds like it will try to access the method in the form bean to
find the initial value.

If your ${element.value} evaluates to "abc" then it will try to do a
Form.getAbc() for the initial value.  I don't think that is what you want.

I think you should be using this:

and in the action that you call to get to this JSP page, you should be
putting in the initial values.

--
Jason Lea