struts-user mailing list archives

From "Richard Mixon (qwest)" <rnmi...@custco.biz>
Subject [OT] STL startup times - is caching going on?
Date Sun, 21 Sep 2003 04:34:45 GMT
This is a little off-topic, but I am using the Struts EL taglibs in the applications this is
happening. Any suggestions, ideas are
appreciated. (I also posted on the Jakarta taglibs list).

I am having an issue with large startup times the first time one of my pages runs that uses
JSTL mostly the core library. Subsequent
requests (even for different users on different data) take much, much less time.

Here is a little more detail. Any ideas are much appreciated. My ISP is pretty irate because
we suck up huge amounts of CPU each
time it happens.

We are using Tomcat 4.1.24, Java 1.4.1 and Struts 1.1.

OK, the page uses a couple of nested foreach loops to generate a grid/chart of SVG markup
language. It also uses a couple of small
foreach loops to generate tick marks on an axis. It looks something like:

  Chart  page
    <embed> tag
    include JSP/JSTL page to generate footer.
    include JSP/JSTL page to generate x and y axis
    JSTL markup to generate main body of chart
    include JSP/JSTL page to generate footer.

The request takes a half second to build the Java objects that the JSTL code uses to render
on the page. But the rendering takes 45
second on a 650MHZ Sun SPARC III machine and almost that long on a fast Windows machine (2500
MHZ).

The second and subsequent times the chart rendering drops down to less than 200 milliseconds.
Then about five minutes later, if the
chart is requested again, it takes the 45 seconds to generate, then 200 milliseconds for subsequent
requests.

Thanks in advance - Richard