struts-user mailing list archives

From "Richard Mixon (qwest)" <rnmi...@custco.biz>
Subject RE: [OT] STL startup times - is caching going on?
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2003 23:11:05 GMT
Thanks for the ideas.

I am using both types of includes - "<%@ include file="/common/taglibs.jsp"%>", and
"<jsp:include page="chartHeader.jsp"/>". If I
understand correctly, the first type is included at compile time, the second is compiled separately
and included at runtime.

But the large response time occurs, even if the page has already been compiled (i.e. no changes
have occurred to the page since it
was last compiled).

I did change the Tomcat 4.1.24 Jasper2 setting "enablePooling" to "false". This seems to have
improved things greatly. Now the first
request in takes about 10 seconds, subsequent requests less than a second. But once in a while
I still get a very, very long
response time (1 minute). Most of the time occurs during the page rendering process (after
the action has returned control).

We just put the above changes in production last night and are monitoring it to see how much
improvement we get.

Thanks - Richard

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:craigmcc@apache.org]
Sent: Sunday, September 21, 2003 10:30 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: [OT] STL startup times - is caching going on?

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003, Richard Mixon (qwest) wrote:

> Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 21:34:45 -0700
> From: "Richard Mixon (qwest)" <rnmixon@custco.biz>
> Subject: [OT] STL startup times - is caching going on?
>
> This is a little off-topic, but I am using the Struts EL taglibs in the applications
this is happening. Any suggestions, ideas are
> appreciated. (I also posted on the Jakarta taglibs list).
>
> I am having an issue with large startup times the first time one of my pages runs that
uses JSTL mostly the core library.
Subsequent
> requests (even for different users on different data) take much, much less time.
>
> Here is a little more detail. Any ideas are much appreciated. My ISP is pretty irate
because we suck up huge amounts of CPU each
> time it happens.
>
> We are using Tomcat 4.1.24, Java 1.4.1 and Struts 1.1.
>
> OK, the page uses a couple of nested foreach loops to generate a grid/chart of SVG markup
language. It also uses a couple of small
> foreach loops to generate tick marks on an axis. It looks something like:
>
>   Chart  page
>     <embed> tag
>     include JSP/JSTL page to generate footer.
>     include JSP/JSTL page to generate x and y axis
>     JSTL markup to generate main body of chart
>     include JSP/JSTL page to generate footer.
>
> The request takes a half second to build the Java objects that the JSTL code uses to
render on the page. But the rendering takes
45
> second on a 650MHZ Sun SPARC III machine and almost that long on a fast Windows machine
(2500 MHZ).

> The second and subsequent times the chart rendering drops down to less than 200 milliseconds.
Then about five minutes later, if
the
> chart is requested again, it takes the 45 seconds to generate, then 200 milliseconds
for subsequent requests.

> Thanks in advance - Richard

The time delay you're describing sounds more like the typical "compile a
JSP page the first time it is encountered" delay more than anything
specific to a particular tag library.  Are you seeing this kind of thing
on JSP pages that do not include JSTL tags, or is it specific to this
library.  If it's the usual generic case, you should investigate using
tools like "jspc" (shipped with Tomcat) to precompile your JSP pages into
the corresponding servlets.

One other factor to note -- if by "include" in your description above you
mean <jsp:include> or <c:import>, then each individual page you're
importing also has to be compiled that very first time.

Craig