struts-user mailing list archives

From as as <>
Subject Re: Slow file upload?
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:27:15 GMT
i am a newbie to struts
need help intsalling and making a helloworld app run using Tomcat jakarta struts
also need help learning to use filters to authenticate a user,

Sgarlata Matt <> wrote:Unfortunately I'm not going to have time
to set up this experiment for a few
weeks because the app I am currently working on does not require file upload
capabilities. I'll do a test in a few weeks and post the results to

I'm guessing from your response that the costs of encoding/decoding the file
so it can be sent over HTTP/MIME is much larger than one would suppose and
that this time is greater than the time it takes to send the file over a
large connection.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Leland"
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2003 10:40 PM
Subject: Re: Slow file upload?

Sgarlata Matt wrote:

>Rob, why is it faster to upload all on one machine instead of going across
>LAN? It seems to me uploading on the same machine should be as fast as a
>file copy. What am I missing?
Try a experiment. Try a fileupload on a single CPU computer, hosting
your web app.
Then try it again for 2 machines connected by the same local LAN, one
running the browser, one the web app.
Monitor fileupload time, % free CPU, virtual memory/paging usage, etc.
Report back the results.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

Do you Yahoo!?