struts-user mailing list archives

From "Sri Sankaran" <Sri.Sanka...@sas.com>
Subject NestedIterateTag won't let go of collection
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2003 03:32:27 GMT
Using: Struts 1.1
Servlet Container: Tomcat 4.1.24

In the process of studying the memory footprint of my application, I found that certain objects
were not getting garbage collected even though there were no apparent references.  The biggest
culprit was a rather large collection that was being displayed using <nested:iterate>.

I am mentioning *how* it is being displayed only because JProbe revealed that the reason the
collection isn't getting free'd is because the associated NestedIterateTag object was maintaining
a reference to it - even after the user session was invalidated.

I realize that this may not be Struts-issue per se but one of how Tomcat manages (reuses)
tags.  Have you seen such behavior and is there a way to coerce tag to free the application
object?

Thanks

Sri