struts-user mailing list archives

From Jens v.P. <develo...@jevopi.de>
Subject Re: Has anybody extended the validator framework?
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2003 14:54:32 GMT
Hi,

Am Mittwoch, 23.07.03 um 16:24 Uhr schrieb Derek Chen-Becker:
> Since the questionnaire is the model for the form, couldn't you just
> encapsulate a real questionnaire business object within an ActionForm?
> It adds a layer, but since ActionForms are objects and not interfaces
> I don't see an easier way than delegation.

I'm not sure I understand that. Do you mean to use the validator
"outside" struts (in the business layer) and delegate all validations
in the form to the business object? Like this:

MyForm extends ActionForm {
   ..
      public ActionErrors validate(..) {
      Questionnaire->validate();
      }
}

That was my first idea, too. But in this case I don't know how to use
client side validation (and that's a really nice feature). And it still
doesn't solve the problem of dynamically created questionnaires/forms.

I'm thinking about a way to extend/modify the validator for supporting
"runtime configuration". I hope that this is not too complicate - I
guess that I only have to exchange the digester creation by a runtime
configuration. Or by simply "extending" the digester for creating my
own "business" classes, adding some features which I require, and add
the ability to the business classes (or add a layer between with this
ability) to generate the validator framework classes on the fly, based
on the extended definition.

Jens