struts-user mailing list archives

From "Travis Stevens" <Travis.Stev...@noaa.gov>
Subject Design Question
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2003 16:23:33 GMT
Hello,

I have some functionality in my web application that allows a user to
select a record.  This functionality is plugged into other types of
functions, such as combine a record or select a component record.

Steps to combine a record:
1. select a record
2. configure combining
3. combine

Sets to selct a compont
1. select a record
2. set the record as a component.

As you can see, the select a record functionality is common.  To
implement this I would like to create action classes specifically for
the select a record interface.  One of the request parameters would be
the action to forward the result to.  The GET request would look
something like this:

/action/selectRecord?recordSetName=name&finishedForwardAction=/action/combineRecord
This would:
1. display search fields
2. search / display results
3. redirect to the finishedForwardActionPage (would it be better to put
the record in the session for the finshedForwardAction or just pass the
id as a parameter)

Is this an acceptable implementation, or is there a better way?

-Trav