struts-user mailing list archives

From Jason Lea <ja...@kumachan.net.nz>
Subject Re: [OT] Is "jsessionid" specific to Tomcat or generic to all web containers?
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:07:52 GMT
Matthias Bauer wrote:
> Craig,
>
> all this sentence says is that the session id must be encoded as a path
> parameter. But it does not say anything about the name, the implementing
> server is supposed to use. Is there some other place in the spec where
> it says that the parameter must be called "jsessionid"? If not, I would
> say the server implementation is free to choose any name. Am I
> overlooking something?

Perhaps you overlooked looking at the spec itself :)

Servlet Spec 2.3

SRV.7.1.3 URL Rewriting
URL rewriting is the lowest common denominator of session tracking. When
a client will not accept a cookie, URL rewriting may be used by the
server as the basis for session tracking. URL rewriting involves adding
data, a session id, to the URL path that is interpreted by the container
to associate the request with a session.
The session id must be encoded as a path parameter in the URL string.
The name of the parameter must be jsessionid. Here is an example of a
URL containing encoded path information:
http://www.myserver.com/catalog/index.html;jsessionid=1234

> --- Matthias
>
>> The URL rewriting format is also standardized; in section 7.1.3 you will
>> see the sentence:
>>
>>  The session id must be encoded as a path parameter in the URL string.

Jason Lea