struts-user mailing list archives

From David Graham <grahamdavid1...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: logic:iterate tag fails on large dataset, succeeds on small one?
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:35:41 GMT
--- Aaron Humphrey <HumphreyA@Kakari.com> wrote:

> > If both JSTL and Struts are failing, it's probably your code that's
> > broken.
>
> > David
>
> Often a reasonable assumption, in the circumstances, but it turns out
> not so.
>
> I got my page to work with a straight Servlet full of out.println()
> statements.
> Then I got it working using one Servlet filling my bean and putting it
> in
> session context and then forwarding to the other, in case that was the
> problem.
>
> And then I put in <c:out> tags to replace my <bean:write> tags, which I
> perhaps should have done in the first place.  I guess I assumed they'd
> be
> as interchangeable as <c:forEach> and <bean:iterate>.  But <c:out>
> works.  Which leads me to conclude that the problem might be in
> <bean:write>.
>
> Am I correct in thinking that future versions of Struts may end up using
> JSTL
> anyway?

The Struts tags are largely in maintainence mode at this point because the
emphasis is on using standardized technologies like the JSTL.  There's
been no decision regarding the future of the Struts tags but I haven't
seen many committers interested in adding new ones or upgrading existing
tags.  There doesn't seem to be much point in maintaining proprietary tags
when the standard versions are easier to use and more powerful.

I'm glad you got it working!

David