struts-user mailing list archives

From "Prashanth.S" <suman291...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: URL validation with struts???
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:03:59 GMT
Hi all,
How abt throwing MalformedURLException in the service method inside action class??
Than no need to do validation in action form??
Is it correct??
Help??
Thanks
Prashanth

Dichotomy <dichotomy@greenmail.ch> wrote:
Steps:

1) Use a regular expression to check that the url fits the pattern you are looking for (here's
a good tutorial on regexes: http://www.zvon.org/other/PerlTutorial/Output/index.html). You
can do this directly with the validator framework if you're using it, or later from the action.
2) Open a java.io or java.nio connection to that url to check that it is valid. Look into
File and/or InputStream for more info on how to do this.

You should never put any logic in the form bean itself (it should remain a plain dumb form
bean). Put this code in a library and make a call to it from your action.

--
If education is too expensive, try ignorance.

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 06:36:14 -0700 (PDT)
"Prashanth.S" wrote:

> Hi all,
> I need to upload a resource present at a particular location by making user enter a valid
URL...How can i do URL name validation using struts???Is there anything to do so??Do i need
to do this in action form or action class??[what User entered is a valid url i.e,both name
as well as resource present at that url)