struts-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Using JSTL tags instead of Struts tags
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:58:50 GMT

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Yansheng Lin wrote:

> Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:24:30 -0600
> From: Yansheng Lin <yansheng.lin@isogis.com>
> Subject: RE: Using JSTL tags instead of Struts tags
>

> So I guess the following is going to be true in struts 2.0?
>
> It doesn't sound right to me.  Java still support deprecated methods
> from years ago.  Besides, when we look at the struts tag lib API
> reference, there is no warning about these tags being deprecated.

But nobody is doing any bugfixes or performance improvements on those
methods -- they only continue to exist so that old programs depending on
them will continue to run.

> In struts.tld header:
>
>     WARNING:  ALL OF THE TAGS IN THIS LIBRARY ARE DEPRECATED, AND
>     ARE MAINTAINED ONLY FOR BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY.  THEY WILL BE
>     REMOVED IN A FUTURE VERSION OF STRUTS.

In the very early days of Struts (version 0.5), all of the tags were in a
single tag library (struts.tld).  It became clear that this was not going
to be scalable in the long run, so by release 1.0 the tags were split into
multiple tag libraries (struts-bean, struts-html, struts-logic, and so
on).  You should absolutely *not* use struts.tld as your tag library;
instead, you should use the individual tag libraries.

The individual tag libraries themselves are NOT deprecated, and the tags
in them will continue to exist and be maintained and supported through at
least any 1.x version train (we haven't talked enough about what 2.x is to
say what might be there or might not be there).  However, I'm NOT
interested in doing any substantial innovations on them that will remain
proprietary to Struts, when standard versions of these tags that are
substantially more powerful, capable of being optimized by the container
(Resin already does this for JSTL tags, Tomcat has most of its internal
APIs set up to make this feature possible).

The tag libraries are not deprecated, but they are becoming legacy.  Big
difference.

Craig