struts-user mailing list archives

From David Graham <grahamdavid1...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Using JSTL tags instead of Struts tags
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 15:01:46 GMT
--- Mark Lowe <mark.lowe@talk21.com> wrote:
> I started using JSTL but found that it encouraged site builders to
> start embedding logic in JSP's. While I can see that JSLT is more
> powerful, isn't it true to say that it encourages breaking with the
> view-controller demarcation?

No, it doesn't encourage poor programming.  Anyone can abuse the tags but
it's up to your designers to use them for view logic.  If you provide
beans that perform the business logic, the page designers will have no
reason to implement that logic in the view.

> I find the struts tags on the other hand, used with zero scriptlet
> tolerance, forces you to do all the work in your action servlets.
>
> I'm open to views against mine, and I also wouldn't dismiss the advise
> of the folks who developed struts, but whenever I read "use JSLT" it
> seems to me  a step backwards.

It's a huge step *forwards* from the Struts tags.  The JSTL is far more
powerful and easier to use.  Plus, it's a standard so every Java web
developer is expected to know it.

David