struts-user mailing list archives

From JavaXML Developer <javaxmlsoap...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Session ID always being appended even with cookies enabled?
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2003 21:19:31 GMT
What you are seeing is "jsesssionid". The jsessionid is a key maintained by the container to
track the user session via HTTP. Including the session key in the hyperlink is called URL
rewriting. The Servlet Specification encourages the use of cookies to maintain the session.
When that is not possible, URL rewriting is used instead. The first time browser makes a request
to the container, the container does not know whether the browser will accept a cookie. The
container can offer the browser a cookie, but can't tell if it was accepted until the next
time a request is made. (HTTP has no "handshaking".) In the meantime, the response for the
current request must be written. So, the first page written for a browser will always need
to use URL rewriting. If no subsequent requests the container finds that its cookie was accepted.
It can skip rewriting the URLs.

Hope this answers your question.

-Vicky

David Erickson <derickson@cmcflex.com> wrote:
Well I've been setting up struts and for some reason struts is always
rewriting my urls with the session id in it, even though I know for sure
that cookies are enabled.. I know this is pretty vague but does anyone know
what would cause this?
thanks
-David