struts-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Session ID always being appended even with cookies enabled?
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2003 18:32:20 GMT
On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, David Erickson wrote:

> Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 11:07:52 -0600
> From: David Erickson <derickson@cmcflex.com>
> Subject: Session ID always being appended even with cookies enabled?
>
> Well I've been setting up struts and for some reason struts is always
> rewriting my urls with the session id in it, even though I know for sure
> that cookies are enabled.. I know this is pretty vague but does anyone know
> what would cause this?

Tomcat (at least) is pretty conservative about deciding whether the client
supports cookies or not.  On the first request for a session, it sends the
session id both ways (encoded and cookie), and only turns off encoding if
the subsequent request actually included the cookie.

If you're still seeing encoded URLs on the second (and later) requests,
you probably either have a client problem with cookies, and/or some sort
of proxy or filter in between you and the server that might be swiping the
session id cookie.

> thanks
> -David

Craig