struts-user mailing list archives

From "Jing Zhou" <j...@netspread.com>
Subject Re: MVC, Security, and Redirect
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2003 16:35:30 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Hardy" <ahardy.struts@cyberspaceroad.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 6:16 AM
Subject: Re: MVC, Security, and Redirect

> Jing Zhou wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > The following is my experience about the subject over the
> > years and also includes what I learned so far.
> >
> > What is the best practice for the security checking with
> > the MVC design pattern? Over the years, I learned that
> > the Struts developers have been using the following ideas
> > for the security checking as the best practice.
> >
> > 1) No one has direct access to any JSP pages in the
> >     web applications.
>
> Sorry just to pick out one point from your email but I always see people
> saying this about protecting their JSPs.
>
> I always wonder why, because not one of my JSPs would run without an
> error if they were accessed directly, because they all need either a
> form bean or lists or arrays for dropdowns and so on.

>From a management point of view, the security is more a policy
problem than implementation problem. If you have two doors in your
building that are exposed to outsiders and you trust the locks in them, that
is
fine.

When you have 20,000 doors (the JSP pages) in your building (web apps)
that are exposed to *outsiders* (they could be your internal employees),
and over the years you asked 20 independent consulting teams to fix
problems in some of the doors, your confident level on the security
of your building will drop.

That is one of the reasons you should ensure no one has direct access
to your JSP pages *uniformly*. What we do for web applications is that
we partition the resources into two categories: document oriented resources
and application oriented resources. We let the application oriented
resources (JSP pages for web applications) subject to rule one
and document oriented resources (static files, Model 1 JSP pages
for read only purpose) subject to the security constraints.
With such a partition, we could avoid the situations where someone,
no matter he is a outsider or internal employee, could access directly
to the application oriented resources.

> Is there some security hole that hackers can exploit if they find a
> valid JSP url, even if it returns a 404?
>
> Adam

Jing
Netspread Carrier
http://www.netspread.com