struts-user mailing list archives

From "Steve" <st...@browsermedia.com>
Subject Re: Turning off jsessionid= in URL rewriting
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2003 23:35:42 GMT
It just so happens I just finished dealing with this myself. I found no
answers on the Internet, and I could not find any Struts code I could hack.
But I did solve the issue in my case.

My customer was using IIS which gagged on the ";" in the jessionid.

If you are using Resin, you are lucky as you can turn-off url-rewriting in
the resin.conf. I don't know about Tomcat, and my customer was using JRun
which did not have this option. (In fact, we are using ColdFusionMX .cfm's
instead of JSP's for our views! but that's another story ;)

My work around - for any IIS users out there - was to create in IIS a
virtualDirectory called "PhotoAlbum" which pointed to my Struts directory. I
then created a mapping for extentions ".*" to pass control to the servlet
engine. (The Verify File Exists option must be UN-checked for this to work).
In my struts-config, my forwards use this virtual directory (ie
path="/PhotoAlbum/main.cfm") so that IIS will see the virutal directory and
pass control to the server engine before IIS has a chance to gag on the ";".

Hope this info helps someone out there ;)

Steve B.
----- Original Message -----
From: "John Loring" <loring@timetrade.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 6:04 PM
Subject: Re: Turning off jsessionid= in URL rewriting

> Paul,
>
> This is handled by the application server, so you'll have to turn it off
there.  Usually there are settings for enabling/disabling session
persistence using cookies and/or url rewriting.  Exactly where you'll find
them is dependent on the particular app server you are using. It's not
controlled by struts.  If you use sessions in your application, shutting off
the jsessionid url rewriting will cause problems running on browsers with
cookies disabled.