struts-user mailing list archives

From Derek Scherger <derek_scher...@transcanada.com>
Subject Re: entity references in struts config xml
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2003 21:14:26 GMT
James Mitchell wrote:

>On Wednesday 18 June 2003 15:23, Derek Scherger wrote:
>

>>Does anyone know how to get entity references to work with struts 1.0.2
>>under tomcat 4.1.24?
>>
>>The first few lines of my struts-config.xml look like this:
>>
>><?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
>><!DOCTYPE struts-config PUBLIC
>>          "-//Apache Software Foundation//DTD Struts Configuration 1.0//EN"
>>          "http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/dtds/struts-config_1_0.dtd"
>>[<!ENTITY barfoo SYSTEM "barfoo.xml">]
>>

>><struts-config>
>>    &barfoo;
>></struts-config>
>>
>>When it comes to processing the &barfoo; entity reference it fails with
>>a file not found exception. Running tomcat with strace under linux I can
>>see it trying to find barfoo.xml in the tomcat/bin directory rather than
>>under the appropriate context's WEB-INF directory. Note that the same
>>entity reference in web.xml works fine (i.e. it looks for barfoo.xml
>>under the appropriate context's WEB-INF directory which is where I would
>>expect a relative reference to be relative to).
>>
>>Using an absolute reference for the file isn't really a solution because
>>the environment this app has to run in is a mix of linux, windows and
>>solaris. (i.e.
>>"C:\\foo\\bar\\tomcat\\webapps\\foobarcontext\\WEB-INF\\barfoo.xml"
>>won't work on all platforms that is has to work on.).
>>

>While not an exact solution to your dilema, why don't you just use multiple
>config files?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this, it might only be available
in struts 1.1.
The problem we have at the moment is that we have multiple web apps that
share
a bunch of common struts (and tiles) configuration. Rather than having
multiple copies
of this shared configuration in various config files I'd like to have on
copy of the shared
stuff referenced by the various config files.