struts-user mailing list archives

From Dan Tarkenton <tark_str...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: RBAC - Role Based Access Control Model in Struts
Date Fri, 09 May 2003 15:18:23 GMT
I was thinking along the same lines as you were.  I could easily create my own security model
without it being tightly coupled to the struts framework.  I don't like the idea of editing
the struts framework...I wouldn't mind extending it (which I obviously can do myself).   I
am trying to be forward thinking here and really see Hobbs' solution as practical right now,
but a headache in the future.  Seeing as how Struts 1.1 will be released soon I don't want
to have to remodify the code at that point if I chose to upgrade to 1.1.  No disrespect to
Nic at all -- I found his solution to be decent.  It seemed to me that all of my user data
would be stored in the "Nic version" of struts-config.xml file if I went with his solution.
 I would really like to keep that user related data in my DB. Thanks for your reply.  I will
look into JAAS and Jakarta Realms. -Dan
Navjot Singh <navjot.s@net4india.net> wrote:IMO, You should keep your security model
out of the struts purview. You may
want to read about Jakarta Realms or JAAS etc.

It's not good idea to change the DTD or for that matter even the struts code
straight away. Build on top of it if you wish, but you should not change the
base code. Whenever the new release comes, you are stuck there. Or you
download the source of new release or do the modifications.

regards
Navjot Singh