struts-user mailing list archives

From "Kruse, Matt" <MKr...@aquent.com>
Subject RE: why struts , Confused ?
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2003 18:26:49 GMT
> From: David Graham [mailto:dgraham1980@hotmail.com]
> JSP is the standard view technology so Struts provides custom
> tags to make life much easier when building JSPs.

I would disagree with this part, as I've found the JSP taglibs to be a
_huge_ pain in the ass. The argument names are not logical, IMO, and trying
to use logic tags to display nested loops of a data hierarchy was difficult,
when it would have been much easier with just straight Java code embedded.

The Controller part of Struts is great, tiles are great, a lot of the little
work it takes care of is great. But I've yet to be convinced that the custom
taglibs add much value. I kept feeling like, "I have this bean, I know what
need to paint, and I know how to do it in Java... now let me spend the next
2 hours debugging these damn struts tags that will give me the EXACT SAME
RESULT!"

I know the general goal is to remove code from the JSP, but I don't believe
in that concept. The JSP files _ARE_ part of the code. No technical writer
could pick up a struts JSP and work with it any more than they could with a
JSP with Java code in it. And most of the time, it's purely programmers who
touch the JSP anyway. If it's full of struts tags, a non-struts java
programmer can't pick it up and do anything with it without first learning
the tags, which is not necessarily an easy task. I think display logic is
still part of the programming job, and I see no reason to treat it like a
separate beast!

Matt Kruse