struts-user mailing list archives

From <shirishchandra.sakh...@ubs.com>
Subject RE: Tiles Question:Diff between jsp and XML tiles definations...
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2003 14:05:02 GMT
Hi,
But I dont see the class TilesActionComponentServlet Because I am working with Struts 1.0
and I am using tilesForStruts1-0.jar  ...

regards,
Shirish.

-----Original Message-----
From: Cedric Dumoulin [mailto:cedric@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2003 2:55 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Tiles Question:Diff between jsp and XML tiles
definations...

shirishchandra.sakhare@ubs.com wrote:

>Hi Cedric,
>Thanks for the reply once again..:-))
>
>But I still have one question.
>So does it mean that using the jsp approach is a bit inefficient?

  Yes, unless you provide a mechanism to avoid the reload of definition

>But is the the only disadvantage?

  No, Definition are located in jsp pages instead of a central file, and
you can't easily use inheritance.

>My main concern is can I use all the features of tiles (Mainly defination Inheritance
etc.)with the jsp approach?

  Inheritance is not fully implemented whith def in jsp.

>I am trying to avoid the use of action component servlet as We already have extended ActionServlet
in our project.And I am not sure if we Instead inherit ActionComponentServlet will it affect
any thing else..

  Try to inherit from the TilesActionComponentServlet. It overload few
methods, so it should not interfere with your class.

   Cedric

>regards,
>Shirish

based application can be ported to Tiles easily...

>>I have got some sample pages from our application working using tiles definations
But the definations are defined in a jsp file.

>>So my question is whats the difference between Using an xml file for defination and
using a jsp file?If I am using jsp definations, Do i stil need to initialise the Defination
factory?

>>If I go the jsp way, Will I be still able to use all features of tiles ?because I
think to use tiles I need to use ActionComponentServlet(Struts 1.0) instead of ActionServlet...And
the ActionComponentServlet modifies the forward behaviour for use with tiles...So does it
mean that whether I use xml definations or not,I need to use ActionCOmponentServlet...Is it
true?