struts-user mailing list archives

From "Craig R. McClanahan" <craig...@apache.org>
Subject RE: User authentication for a site
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2003 19:57:04 GMT

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, David Graham wrote:

> Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:03:15 -0600
> From: David Graham <dgraham1980@hotmail.com>
> To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: RE: User authentication for a site
>
> >Since struts seems to have something for
> >everything I wanted to see if there was something for this built in.
>
> Struts has nothing built in to support this because other standardized
> methods (ie. Filters) exist.

To say nothing of container managed security, as defined in
<security-constraint> elements in the web application deployment
descriptor.

IMHO, user authentication should be a container feature, not an
application feature, unless you need functionality above and beyond what
the container can provide you.

> David

Craig