struts-user mailing list archives

From "Ray Madigan" <...@madigans.org>
Subject RE: Struts-el NOT working with Struts 1.1 RC1 Release
Date Sun, 02 Mar 2003 00:39:51 GMT
Craig,

I guess I made other assumptions about the process.  I thought that
there were people on the list that volunteered to test just like you
volunteer to write code.  I would have been more apt to run my project
on the nightly builds had I knew you were counting on us.  I appreciate
you clearing that up for me.  I am relatively new to struts - have
been here about three weeks.

Thanks and I do appreciate all you do and am willing to contribute
where I can.

Ray Madigan

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:craigmcc@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 7:59 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: Struts-el NOT working with Struts 1.1 RC1 Release

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Hohlen, John wrote:

> Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 19:54:45 -0600
> From: "Hohlen, John" <JHohlen@erac.com>
> Subject: RE: Struts-el NOT working with Struts 1.1 RC1 Release
>
> David Karr said he fixed this problem in last night's Struts-EL build.
This
> means in order to pick up the fix, you have to migrate from the RC1
version
> of Struts to a nightly build version (due to other changes made to the
> regular Struts tags since the RC1 release -- otherwise you'll have
> incompatability issues -- I think).  Many projects are reluctant to use
> nightly builds (for obvious reasons).  Therefore, this hurts the overall
> likelihood of other projects incorporating Struts-EL.   I would think that
> the Struts-EL team would want to provide a version of their project that's
> compatible with RC1.  This will allow for wider user base which would be
> good for the overall project.  Doesn't this make sense or am I missing
> something?

The other side of that coin is also important -- if nobody tests the
nightly builds, then we developers never find out about the bugs until
after a release build is published, which harms the reputation for quality
that we would all prefer.

I get somewhat depressed about the "for obvious reasons" reason that
people give for not at least *trying* your app against the nightly builds.
After all, the day that Struts 1.1 final is released, guess what -- it
will have exactly the same classes as that night's nightly build :-).
There is nothing magical about the label "final release" that makes it any
better (or worse) other than marginally more testing.

Going into production is a different story -- but the harsh reality is the
only reason RC1 was called RC1 instead of beta 4 was to get at least a
*few* more people to test it.  Fortunately for the quality of the final
release, that goal was achieved.  Unfortunately, many of the bugs could
have been found and fixed quite a while ago, with more testing.

> Thanks,
>
> JOHN

Craig