struts-user mailing list archives

From "Petterson F. Paula" <petterson.ferre...@lucida.com.br>
Subject RE: Help finding the right code for dynamic forms
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2003 18:40:40 GMT
I'm interested in this problem too.

Petterson Ferreira de Paula
Consultor
Lúcida Tecnologia
Fone.: +55 11 3704 5004

-----Original Message-----
From: Wendy Smoak [mailto:Wendy.Smoak@asu.edu]
Sent: quarta-feira, 12 de março de 2003 15:28
To: Struts Users Mailing List (E-mail)
Subject: Help finding the right code for dynamic forms

I'm trying to make the back-end of my Struts webapp more flexible, and I'm
interested in the mechanism by which a dynamic form is created.  I'm
currently using the DAO pattern, so I have a ton of Data Transport Objects.
I've just hit a file with 129 data fields and I'm just not excited about
writing (or even using a code generator to produce) all those get/set
methods.  Twice, because there will be an interface and an implementation.

The database behind the DAO layer is multivalued.  I'm not using a JDBC
driver, so none of the existing magic will work.

The next version (UniData 6.0) is supposed to speak XML, so I think I could
produce something like the <form-bean><form-property> structure from the
data dictionary.

Given that, some sort of XML file describing the data fields, what do I look
at to transform that into a class that conforms to the JavaBeans spec?  It
would need to work with JSTL as I often have a DTO sitting in the session
that I use JSTL to display pieces of.

I've looked around in the code but I've only found the actual DynaWhatever
classes, not the bits that read the XML and create the objects.  Where is
that hiding?  And if anyone could give a high level overview of what
actually happens, that would help.

Thanks!  (Not technically Struts related, I know... please reply privately.)

--
Wendy Smoak
Applications Systems Analyst, Sr.