struts-user mailing list archives

From Jörg Maurer <joerg.mau...@ucpmorgen.com>
Subject RE: how to catch exception using tiles thrown by e.g. org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesUtilStrutsModulesImpl.doInclude
Date Sat, 08 Mar 2003 22:46:13 GMT
Wondering why i have no chance to catch any exception i did some
investigation on that topic , so i consulted the java logic of your
insert tag. it is that ~good~ shielded against any exception bubbling,
that my own error handler logic never gets a chance because ALL
EXCEPTIONS HAVE BEEN CAUGTH AND NEVER RETHROWN. next is snip from your
Insert Tag(commented out is your code, underneath that is what i want -
throw new JspException(ex.getMessage())) :

			} catch (ServletException ex) {
				Throwable realEx = ex;
				if (ex.getRootCause() != null) {
					realEx = ex.getRootCause();
				}
//				processException(
//					realEx,
//					"[ServletException in:" + page +
"] " + realEx.getMessage() + "'");
                                throw new JspException(ex.getMessage());
			} catch (Exception ex) {
//				processException(ex, "[Exception in:" +
page + "] " + ex.getMessage());
                                throw new JspException(ex.getMessage());
			} finally {
				// restore old context
				// done only if currentContext not null
(bug with Silverstream ?; related by Arvindra Sehmi 20010712)
				if (currentContext != null)
					pageContext.setAttribute(

ComponentConstants.COMPONENT_CONTEXT,
						currentContext,

pageContext.REQUEST_SCOPE);

			}
			return EVAL_PAGE;

Looking at Geary´s template insert tag, he always chose to do "throw new
JspException(ex.getMessage());".

Your logic displays by default a simple stack trace(Exception type and
exception message) of where the tile should be. I dont want to show that
to my customer, but as i said, i have no change to display my  jsp-error
page instead.

So if that "feature" is not here for any other reason, i consider that
being a unlucky design for me, because i have to at least vesion my own
tiles.jar or do some dirty subclassing your tag.

I would appreciate your comment.

Greets Jörg