struts-user mailing list archives

From "ALAMI Ahmed" <aal...@netfective.com>
Subject RE: Webwork vs Struts
Date Mon, 17 Mar 2003 17:23:59 GMT
Chck this site, it's interesting

--Webwork is more flexible for building frameworks to access the model level, that can be
integrated in an UI (Swing, ...)
--Struts is more useful for handling web actions

http://www.rollerweblogger.org/page/roller/20030113

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Butt, Dudley [mailto:dbutt@metropolitan.co.za]
Envoyé : Monday, March 17, 2003 6:12 PM
À : 'struts-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Objet : Webwork vs Struts

Hi all,

I'm in the throws of making a decision as to wether I should go with Struts or Webwork.
Has anyone had any experience comparing the 2, who would be able to provide some valuable
input?

It will be appreciated, thanx

Here is a post i made to the webwork site, and a reply i received:

 I would please like to know from you guys out there, if anyone has used
> struts then moved over to using webwork. I would like to know if it is a
> feasible option, and what the pro's and con's of each are.
> I have read the FAQ on the comparison between struts and webwork, but i
> would like to hear from developers who have actually used webwork and
> struts.
> Which seems to be the better option?

I was an avid Struts users for years before switching over to WebWork.  I
personally find WebWork a lot easier.  Here are some of the things I think
WebWork does better:

* To perform simple actions with Struts requires a _lot_ of coding from
ActionForms to Actions to relatively large config entries.  If you look
through the archives, I posted a comparison of what it took to create code
in each framework.

* Struts is strongly tied to the web layer making it inappropriate to
directly place business logic there, WebWork isn't.  I find with Struts, I
end up using it as a wrapper layer around POJOs.  Again, increasting the
amount of code required.

* Struts has a larger, albeit more low level tag library.  The WebWork tag
library is smaller, and yet I feel like you can get things done quicker as
the constructs are higher level.

* Finally, with Struts, the typically model is to use the ActionForm to
receive input, the Action to wrap the business logic and response content
gets placed into the request attributes.  That seems pretty messy in
comparison to having one disposable object to contain all these items.

All in all, I think WebWork has a definite edge over Struts.  With the
upcoming WebWork2, I think it's hands down in WebWorks favor.  In addition
to an even cleaner separation of business logic and presentation layer,
WebWork2 also implements a highly customizable interception framework that
enables aspect-oriented development.

In any event, I think it's worth a couple days to give it a try.

NOTICE:

This message contains privileged and confidential information intended
only for the person or entity to which it is addressed.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination, copy or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient, is prohibited.

If you received this message in error, please notify the sender
immediately by e-mail, facsimile or telephone and thereafter delete the
material from any computer.

The New Africa Capital Group, its subsidiaries or associates do not
accept liability for any personal views expressed in this message.