struts-user mailing list archives

From "James Turner" <tur...@blackbear.com>
Subject RE: [OT] Ancient computing
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2003 22:16:49 GMT
The first computer I used was a PDP-8/I.  It had 12K of 12 bit memory.
You used an ASR-33 teletype to talk to it.  You had to toggle in the
boot program via the front panel, then load a paper tape, then load
another paper tape.  It ran Edusystem 30 BASIC from DEC.

The next year, our school graduated to a PDP 8/a, which had a DECWriter
for a console and an 8" floppy drive.  You could use BASIC, or FORTRAN
II, or program it in raw assembler.  The operating system was OS/8, the
precursor to CP/M, and later DOS.

My first home computer (after owning a GE Terminet 300 terminal and a
300 baud modem in a wooden box for a while) was a TRS-80 level 1, 32K of
RAM!

James