struts-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew Lubalin" <aluba...@csc.com>
Subject Isn't ANYBODY using iPlanet 6.0 sp1b with Struts?
Date Thu, 06 Feb 2003 19:24:35 GMT

I have not gotten any responses yet regarding my issue.  Not even sure if
it was distributed.  Here it is:

I have developed a Struts application using Tomcat 3.3.1 and Struts 1.1-b2.
Due to a leveraged environment which I MUST use at my client, I am forced
to move the application over to iPlanet 6.0 sp1b with the iPlanet Web
Server 4.1.  I know that sp2 is recommended, but obviously I cannot control
that.  My application worked perfectly with Tomcat, but I am having serious
difficulties with iPlanet.

The problem is that when I use the Struts framework, my classes cannot be
found!  I tested an Action Form class with a test JSP and it found it fine.
When I go to my first page, it tries to load a form that is tied to the
same Action Form class that I just tested, DocumentumSearchForm.  The page
fails with the following stack trace:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
com.dde.custconnection.techcenter.form.DocumentumSearchForm
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:191)
        at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:275)
        at
org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.applicationClass(RequestUtils.java:193)
        at
org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.applicationInstance(RequestUtils.java:219)
        at
org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.createActionForm(RequestUtils.java:625)
        at
org.apache.struts.taglib.html.FormTag.doStartTag(FormTag.java:635)
        at jsp.APPS.TechCenter.common.searchbar.
_jspService(searchbar.java:70)
        at jsp.APPS.TechCenter.common.searchbar.service(searchbar.java:35)
        at
com.netscape.server.servlet.servletrunner.ServletInfo.service(Unknown
Source)
        at
com.netscape.server.servlet.servletrunner.ServletRunner.callJSP(Unknown
Source)
        at
com.netscape.server.servlet.platformhttp.PlatformHttpServletResponse.callJspCompiler(Unknown
 Source)
        at
com.netscape.server.servlet.platformhttp.PlatformHttpServletResponse.callUri(Unknown
 Source)
        at
com.netscape.server.servlet.platformhttp.PlatformHttpServletResponse.callUriRestrictHeaders(Unknown
 Source)
        at
com.netscape.server.servlet.platformhttp.PlatformRequestDispatcher.include(Unknown
 Source)
        at com.netscape.jsp.PageContextImpl.include(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.struts.taglib.tiles.InsertTag$InsertHandler.doEndTag(InsertTag.java:865)
        at
org.apache.struts.taglib.tiles.InsertTag.doEndTag(InsertTag.java:487)

        at jsp.APPS.TechCenter.layouts.tc_template.
_jspService(tc_template.java:87)
        at
jsp.APPS.TechCenter.layouts.tc_template.service(tc_template.java:35)
[...]

        at jsp.APPS.TechCenter.home._jspService(home.java:120)
        at jsp.APPS.TechCenter.home.service(home.java:35)
        at
com.netscape.server.servlet.servletrunner.ServletInfo.service(Unknown
Source)
        at
com.netscape.server.servlet.servletrunner.ServletRunner.callJSP(Unknown
Source)
        at
com.netscape.server.servlet.platformhttp.PlatformHttpServletResponse.callJspCompiler(Unknown
 Source)
        at
com.netscape.server.servlet.platformhttp.PlatformHttpServletResponse.callUri(Unknown
 Source)
        at
com.netscape.server.servlet.platformhttp.PlatformHttpServletResponse.callUriRestrictOutput(Unknown
 Source)
        at
com.netscape.server.servlet.platformhttp.PlatformRequestDispatcher.forward(Unknown
 Source)
        at
org.apache.struts.actions.ForwardAction.execute(ForwardAction.java:158)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processActionPerform(RequestProcessor.java:446)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:266)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1292)
        at
org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doGet(ActionServlet.java:492)
        at
com.netscape.server.servlet.servletrunner.ServletInfo.service(Unknown
Source)
        at
com.netscape.server.servlet.servletrunner.ServletRunner.execute(Unknown
Source)
        at com.kivasoft.applogic.AppLogic.execute(Unknown Source)
        at com.kivasoft.applogic.AppLogic.execute(Unknown Source)
        at com.kivasoft.thread.ThreadBasic.run(Native Method)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)
[ERROR] RequestUtils - -Error creating form bean of class docSearchForm
<java.la
ng.ClassNotFoundException:
com.dde.custconnection.techcenter.form.DocumentumSear
chForm>
javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Exception creating bean of class
com.dde.custcon
nection.techcenter.form.DocumentumSearchForm: {1}
        at
org.apache.struts.taglib.html.FormTag.doStartTag(FormTag.java:644)
[...]

It continues on like this with other exceptions related to the same issue.
It is clear that the classes are registered and locatable by the server,
just not when accessed by Struts.  I checked the installation issue at the
user guide - installation for iPlanet page and I find many of the
statements incorrect (extension mapping IS allowed, I am using
WEB-INF/classes).  To deploy, I used iasDeployment tool.  I created a .war
file and then packaged that into an .ear file by itself (I am not using
EJBs, everything is in the web container, classes and all).

HELP!!!!  Thank You!!!  Let me know if anyone needs more info (deployment
descriptors and such).

- Andrew