struts-user mailing list archives

From "Sri Sankaran" <Sri.Sanka...@sas.com>
Subject RE: one more prepopulate question
Date Fri, 28 Feb 2003 17:50:56 GMT
Here's what you are trying to do

  index.jsp
    -> redirects to
  index.do
    -> needs to build a bunch'o forms
    -> forwards to
  home.jsp

Am I understanding you correctly?

The action corresponding to the path "index" can create any number of form-beans and persist
them in any scope before forwarding to home.jsp.  Now home.jsp, has several <html:form>s;
which implicitly means that it expects several form-beans.  These are available courtesy the
aforementioned action.

Where are you running into a problem?

Sri

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Allen [mailto:dan@mojavelinux.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 7:52 PM
To: struts-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: one more prepopulate question

I know that the prepopulate question has been beaten into the ground around here and the answer
on the FAQ page is complete in answering most questions I have about the concept.  But I just
want to run something by this list, see if I am going about it in the right way.

When you are designing an application, and the index page has several mini-forms (such as
a limited search, a login and maybe a site index) the first page has to be a *.do page.  So
I figured, make an index.jsp page with

<logic:redirect page="/index.do"/>

Then my /index action would prepare the forms and display /home.jsp. The FAQ talks about putting
the form population in the Action class for the /index action, which works great...

...except, how would you populate more than one form?  Seems like in the cast you limit yourself
to the form defined in the action mapping.  Would it be necessary to just set up an action
chain?

Dan

Daniel Allen, <dan@mojavelinux.com>
http://www.mojavelinux.com/