struts-user mailing list archives

From Becky Norum <bno...@coe.neu.edu>
Subject object scope / nested tree implementation
Date Wed, 19 Feb 2003 00:05:03 GMT
I've implemented a version of the nested tree (see
http://www.keyboardmonkey.com/pilotlight/index.jsp).  However, as
objects are saved session scope, I cannot have a user opening and
browsing two separate browser windows at once.

I've thought of the following two approaches:
* Saving the tree to a request scope and transferring that between
requests.
* Since this is a problem that will arise with other pages in the
application, I could generate some sort of Session wrapper class so that
new windows are a new server-managed session (see
http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-11-2000/jw-1122-servlets.html).

I realise that this is a problem discussed before, but I haven't seen a
very good solution for it.

How do larger commercial endeavours manage this issue?  As a self-taught
application developer working alone, I'm very curious to hear other
people's approaches.

Thanks,

Becky
--