struts-user mailing list archives

From "James Turner" <tur...@blackbear.com>
Subject RE: [OT] Which Object Relational mapping tool?
Date Wed, 05 Feb 2003 07:21:35 GMT
> On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Jacob Hookom wrote:
>
> > Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 23:56:39 -0600
> > From: Jacob Hookom <hookomjj@uwec.edu>
> > Subject: RE: [OT] Which Object Relational mapping tool?
> >
> > In my opinion, this topic is just fine-- it comes up every week :-)
> >
> > I personally dislike O/R mappers because in most cases, I
> completely
> > agree that beans and db should be separated, but it's at
> the point of
> > merger that things get overly complex at the expense of an
> additional
> > layer that needs just as much configuring as writing your
> sql code for
> > each use case.

I've had very good luck with Torque, I'm maintaining code for some
fairly hairy insurance-related applications (can you say lots and lots
of joins?), and Torque has made writing the persistence layer a piece of
cake.  It used to be the thing that gave me the most tsuris, now it's
one of the easiest tasks.

As to seperation of beans and db, I've always believed you can take
abstraction to far.  Torque does a good job of hidding all the
db-specific details inside auto-generated classes, leaving your
business-specific code in files that are db-independent (the Foo classes
as opposed to the BaseFoo classes).

James Turner
Owner & Manager, Black Bear Software, LLC
turner@blackbear.com

Author:
    MySQL & JSP Web Applications:
        Data Driven Programming Using Tomcat and MySQL
    ISBN 0672323095; Sams, 2002

Co-Author:
    Struts Kick Start
    ISBN 0672324725; Sams, 2002