struts-user mailing list archives

From "Sangeetha Nagarjunan" <Sangeetha.Nagarju...@itsprojects.com>
Subject Re: changing ActionForm to be a Java interface
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:30:45 GMT

Hi,
Would you  please tell me where i coudl find sample code for :
validate() method?

Thanks
Regards
Sangeetha Nagarjunan
IT Solutions India Pvt. Ltd.
Bangalore
080 - 6655122 X 2119

                    Dan Jacobs

                    jects.com>             cc:

                                           Subject:     Re: changing ActionForm to be a Java
interface
                    01/16/03 05:47

                    PM

                    Please respond

                    to "Struts Users

                    Mailing List"

Hi Craig,

Based on the oft misunderstood property of contravariance, I *do*
conclude that form-beans should not be subtyped from Java Beans, for the
reason that subtypes are never supposed to have fewer behaviors than
their supertypes.  It's customary in good object-oriented design to use
delegation rather than subclassing to use only a selected subset of
behaviors from another kind of thing.  If Struts is saying that a
form-bean should never act like a bean in such-and-such manners, then it
follows that form-beans should not be beans.  This *is* an architecture
issue.

I don't dispute the popularity of Struts, and I congratulate you on
that.  But that's not grounds for justifying any and every aspect of its
implementation approaches.  Windows 98 was popular too.  I think most of
Struts is very well done, and I also think there's this specific problem
with form-beans, long indicated by the persistent and ongoing level of
misunderstanding surrounding them.

As for the beans introspector, you can still use that in your
implementation if you want to go that route, and you can additionally
ignore non-String beans properties, or any of a number of things like
that to rein in misuse.  But as long as you call form-beans java-beans
but intend somethimg more restrictive, there will be confusion.

A similar situation I ran into recently was one where a client
implemented a ClassLoader solely for the purpose of being able to locate
resources using a directory path.  But it wasn't actually able to load
classes.  It was probably convenient to implement it as a subclass in
order to inherit certain methods directly, but that didn't help when the
next person actually attempted to use the thing as ClassLoader.

-- Dan